Tuesday, August 18, 2009

13 Hours to Guatemala!

So I leave for the airport in about 6 hours, at 3:30 AM. My flight leaves at 6 AM. Today has been a crazy day. I had to move out of my old house and put my stuff in the new house. I'm planning on sleeping on the couch for a few hours because there is no furniture left in my room anymore!

I found out a little more information about what we will be doing in Guatemala. CasaSito has organized for us to volunteer for the Asociacion Mujb'ab'l yol, which is an organization that uses radio stations to raise awareness of human rights and other social issues. (http://www.casasito.org/english/mujb.html) We will be helping build a training center for young people interested in learning more about radio broadcasting. There is also going to be a museum associated with the training center which we may be helping to construct.

I'm excited to try and practice my Spanish! From what I've heard some of the smaller villages speak indigenous languages but I will be able to (hopefully) talk to people in the larger cities that we visit. I really have no clue what to expect once I get off the plane though. I hope there are computers at the hostels so I can update this. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures!

Wish me luck!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment