Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fitting 2 months into 4 cubic feet

Hey everyone!

So I leave for China in about 10 hours... and I'm feeling a little bit nervous but mostly excited. This whole thing feels unreal! Of course I put off packing until the very last day... but it actually went pretty smoothly. Everyone's advice is to pack and then take out half of the clothes but I actually fit it all into my suitcase easily. I've never had to pack for a trip as long as this before--maybe that's an advantage because I'm underestimating what I will need... haha.

I'm feeling a little bit flustered because I literally just finished exams and now I'm hopping on a plane to fly halfway around the world. Not to mention that I didn't finish half of the things on my pre-departure to-do list. Or that I know zero Chinese. Or haven't opened a guidebook.

I've also been trying to think of things I can do on the plane... I uploaded some videos on my iPod but that's only going to last me a couple of hours. I also bought the second book in the Twilight series, New Moon. I keep looking at the clock and thinking that one day from now I'll have been in a plane for 8 or 9 hours and still have 4 more hours to go!

My friend Sophie visited China last summer and just told me, "Don't be surprised when you get off the plane and see dirty brown water. You'll think you're in Africa. But you're not, you're in China, and it's awesome." So I'll leave it at that. I'll update once I've arrived and settled, and give my thoughts on the flight and the dirty brown water.

Katie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,

    I cried when reading New Moon, so I hope you don't end up crying on the plane!

    Have a great flight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetie! Can't wait to hear that you've landed safely and what your first impressions are. Miss you already.

    ReplyDelete