Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hi!

My name is Katie Bevier and I am going to be a junior in the fall at U of M. I am currently studying nuclear engineering but next semester I am switching to either mechanical or civil engineering.

This summer I am taking 7 credits at the Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China during May and June. I am taking EECS 215 and a 3-credit Chinese language and culture class. I can't believe I leave in a week and a half!

At the end of the summer I will be volunteering in Guatemala from August 19th-September 2nd with other members of Engineering Global Leadership. We are working with an organization called CasaSito and will be doing construction on a building that will be used by local radio stations for training purposes. A portion of the building will also be used as a museum. I'm still not 100% sure on what we will be doing but I will update more when I find out!

I don't know a whole lot about China or Guatemala, and I am super excited to learn more about the countries and their cultures. Hopefully in Guatemala I will be able to practice my first-year Spanish speaking skills a little when we are in the bigger cities. The community where we will be volunteering speaks a native local dialect that is unlike Spanish.

I leave for China next week, on Friday the 1st. I'll post again next week when I am getting ready to leave. Check back soon!

Katie

6 comments:

  1. Very nice! Have Fun!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you as well! Great first entry - wishing you safe travels as you begin your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are volunteering in Xela, and visiting Antigua and Tikal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katie, My name is Ryne Penley im in your mom's class (Mrs. O'Rourke) this class is fun, well i make it fun. Im loud and obnoxious in this class. Well have fun in china. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey katie, My name is Kory Martin I am in your mother's class at Berrien Springs. I hope you have alot of fun and learn lot's in china. :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys! Thanks for checking in on my blog. Every day my parents are telling about a new person is reading it! It's cool that so many people want to know about my travels. I've learned a lot in China so far, and I'll keep updating to let you know how things are going. Keep my mom's class interesting :)

    ReplyDelete